
Memories of My Mother
Part 2: Teenage Years
I don't know much about my mom's teenage years, so this section will be difficult for me to write. My mother didn't talk a lot about her younger years. So to start this one out, I'm going to do the question/answer first, then I'll tell you what I do remember her telling me. I really hope I don't bore anyone with these posts, I just feel that this is something that I need to do. I'm finding it difficult to write about someone who's life was built around negativity.
Here we go:
Q.) What high school(s) did you attend? Where? Did you graduate? If not did you get your G.E.D? Did you participate in any activities or clubs?
A.) " Sarah Scott, 8th Grade; 9th grade at Shakamak; High School at Wiley 1 1/2 years, Quit. Got G.E.D. in 1986; was in Y-teens at Wiley"
Q.) When did you start dating? Did you have a curfew? What kinds of things did you do on dates? Do you remember your first love?
A.) "I dated behind mom's back, was not allowed to date. Was raped at age 14. First true love Terry Bealmer."
Q.) What did you read?
A.) "Not much, mostly romance and murder magazines"
Q.) Did you have a job? Doing what? How much did you earn?
A.) "Worked at A&W restaurant at 16; Heap Big Beef at 18; Waitress work."
Q.) What was your first car? Did you buy it yourself? What color was it?
A.) " Do not remember, didn't get license til 21; Price of gas was .23 a gal. ---Gas wars."
I remember mom telling me that she got married at the age of 17 to Melvin"Butch" Mitchell and divorced by age 18. She married again at age 18 to George E. Bell and divorced him by age 19. .jpg)
When she was raped at age 14 it happened when her mother wasn't home and she called a friend who came over and helped her clean up the mess. She never said that she told anyone other than that friend. I also remember her saying that if she didn't start her menstrual cycles on time her mother would try to force her too. She never said how that was done and I think I wouldn't ever want to know. Like I said this is extremely hard for me to write because I was hardly ever told of her childhood. The only things she did bring up on rare occasions was heartache and abuse. It does however explain lightly why she was a severe depressive person in her adult years, which I will continue in part 3..jpg)
In the pic above that is my mom with her brother John.
Hope I'm not boring all of you with this and I apologize for this depressing subject with the holidays getting closer but like I said I feel that I somehow need to do this.
To be continued.......
Feel Free to Sign My Guestbook at the Bottom of my Page.
Thursday, November 15, 2007
Dedicated to My Mom Part 2: Teenage Years
Posted by Michelle at 10:57 PM
Labels: abuse, dedication, memory
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





7 comments:
Hi, Dawn!
This is NOT boring at all, but I do feel for your mother. Being forced to have a period on time?!?!?!?! Just reading that made me flinch. Ouch!!!
I don't wonder why she suffered from a major depression.
Hey, NO NEED to apologize about writing all this. This is your blog, after all, and trust me, maybe it'll do good for someone reading it and yourself as well (maybe it'll help you understand her even more by reflecting on all this). So I'll be back here for sure.
You know that you do not bore me with it, I helped you through a lot of it. Just make sure you deal with each post as you go. I am here when you need me:)
Second Amiel's Realm. Your sincerity makes it compelling. Makes me think aboutthe untold stories behind the faces you see every day.
I totally understand how doing this is something you feel the need to do. It really might be helpful for you. I am sorry to hear that your mother was depressed and had a violent life as a child. I look forward to reading the next part.
Hi, Dawn!
Go claim your award here:
I've Got A Friend in You Award
I have to agree with both amel and pilgrim this is good for you :)
Thanks all of you for your positive feedback. I should have part 3 done soon.
Post a Comment