A.) " My grandma and Aunt Ruth, my only salvation. We went to the meat market, blackberry picking, mushroom hunting, killed chickens, and learned to play solitaire."
In Memory of My Mother
Part 1: Childhood Years
This blog is dedicated to my mother Brenda Jeanette Presnell. It is a form of therapy for me and a way for me to keep her memory alive. It will also be the hardest thing I will do.
On December 12, 1951; my mother was born into a family with a father, mother, and four older brothers, Tom, Max, Ron and John. I'm not totally positive of some of her childhood other than she grew up around her brother John more than her other brothers..jpg)

I made a questionaire a few years back about different aspects of life. To understand her childhood better, I will list some of the questions with there anwsers. Here goes:
Q.) How easily or often did you get into mischeif? Why? What was your punishment?
Were your parents strict?
A.) " Not often. Got terrible whippons from mother, dad left when I was 5. Mom tried to
raise us."
Q.) What stands out in your mind about your relatives? Did you have a favorite relative?
Why? Did you do anything special with that relative?
Q.) How far was school from your house? How did you get there? Does anyone stand out in your mind as having a large influence on you? How were your grades?
A.) "School was about 1/2 mile whereever we lived. Mrs Failing's birthday & mine same day. Had her for 1st and 2nd grade. Not good grades moved to much. Different school every year after 1st and 2nd grade."
Q.) What experience did you have with death as a child? What funeral or burial customs were followed?
A.) "Had grandpa die & uncles. My grandma had caskets with bodies in them to view at home till burial."
There are several other questions I had asked her but those are a few. To end out her childhood before her teenage years, I remember her telling me that they moved around a lot and I guess things could get pretty violent. During one of her parents fights an ashtray was tossed across the room and it hit her eyebrow and busted it open. I rarely ever heard her talk of anything postive from her childhood.
I'm going to end part 1 here and tell you more about her in Part 2: teenage years. In doing this I hope to understand more about her for myself.
To Be Continued......
Thanks for reading!!!!
.jpg)





9 comments:
Hi, Dawn! This is so nice and a right thing to do...Thank you for sharing. I'll definitely wait for Part 2. :)
The relationship between a Mom and daughter is unique. Boys move generally grow up and move away but moms and daughters stay close. It grieves me that you don't have that opportunity.
This post was both moving and inspiring. How insightful to ask you mom these questions.
Thanks to you I'm going to do the same with my mom (who's 1000 miles away because I'm a boy and moved away).
So, your name is Dawn? I have a blog buddy name Dawn as well.. :-) I love the pictures!!
My mom is also born at 1951! :-) This is so great post, Dawn..
This is a good post, Dawn. I'll be looking forward to reading the second one.
Pilgrim's right about the relationship between a Mom and daughter. Most often than not, it's very special. :-))))
Crystal,
Thank you I was worried about posting this because my mother was so negative about everything.
Pilgrim,
We defiantly had a unique kind of relationship which you'll see later on. THe questions are a fun thing to do. I've done it with other members of the family.
Trinity,
Actually Dawn is my middle name but you can call me that if you want.(Michelle is my first name). Thank you for the positive feedback.
Amel,
Thank you so much. The second post is done just not posted yet. I will soon. I just hope it's something she would have approved of. Our relationship was strained and special if tht makes any sense.
this is a really good post i have met your mom but i did not really know her so this post will give me a chance to know her.
Stacy,
I'm hoping to get people to understand her as well as why I act the way I do at times when I don't realize it.
It did look beter with the pictures.
Sindi,
Thanks for all the feedback on this one. I told you it looked better with the pics.
Post a Comment