CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »
Feel Free to Sign My Guestbook at the Bottom of my Page.

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Dedicated to My Mother Part 3





Dedicated to My Mom


Part 3: Adult Years


Now on to my mother's adult years, I am going to have to put her adult years in 2 part's, so my full dedication will be four parts total, but these will be the most intense for me to write about.


As before I will start out with questions & anwsers from her then I will go into what my memories. Here we go:


Q.) What can you tell me about your courtship & dating? How did you meet? (This is about my dad)


A.) "I met your dad Chuck through my brother Max and his wife Mary Margaret who was Chuck's sister."


Q.) What are your hobbie's?


A.) " Reading, computer, crafts, T.V., and listening to Music."


Q.) Do you have a political affliation? Did you ever work on the polls?


A.) " Vote for both political parties. Worked on polls as inspector, clerk, judge, sheriff."


Q.) What are your favorite recipes?


A.) " Sweet Potato Casserole, Waldorf salad, Braunsweiger ball, Chicken cheese ball and beef cheese ball, noodles and dressing."


Q.) What are your favorite family stories?


A.) " Stories with my daughter only best in my life."



Here's what I remember. On September 1, 1972 my mother and father got married. Then on October 16,1973 I was born against the wishes of my grandmother. My father had 3 other kids from a previous marriage and their mother had custody of them, but they would stay with us off & on. I was raised pretty much an only child. Mom told me that she was sick the whole pregnancy with me and that I kept her in labor for 27 hours. They ended up naming me Michelle Dawn. Other names she had thought of for me was Misty Dawn, Melissa Michelle, and Annette Jeanette. If i would have been a boy I would have been named after my dad Charles Albert Jr.


I guess at around 6 to 8 monthes of age I had to be hospitalized for dehydration and a partially callapsed lung. Mom told me they had me hooked up on IV's and that she used to sneak me watermelon juice in my bottles. She could never breast feed me because she got milk fever. After a couple of days I was released.





To advance a few years now, I finally started school and was really shy. Mom got involved the PTA (Parent Teacher Association), she got me into bowling (dad was my coach sometimes), She had me try out softball ( I quit) and she got me into Girl Scouts. She eventually became my leader.

I remember mom and da fighting a lot growing up. She would accuse my dad of cheating all the time(eventually he did), nag him all the time, She would control his and her paychecks, she worked as a housekeeper in a nursing home, hospital and in a motel, eventually she ran errands for the elderly or just sat with them. She would cook big suppers and even bigger meals on the holidays. She mostly drank tea, and loved to put up the Christmas tree on Thanksgiving. She tried so hard to teach me how to cook but I wouldn't listen to her till after I got married. She would overprotect me spoil me, and she used me as a paun against dad wihen they got a divorce.


She would drag me out in the middle of the night to hunt him down, threaten him, get ina depressed state and have me mix alcholic drinks for her. She threatened suicide all the time. I remember trying to physically stop her one time by throwing all of her pills outside in the yard during a thunderstorm. She fought me for the pills and practically broke my hand to get them. She would get vindictive, hateful, and psycho. She eventually went on antidepressants and other medications. It never seemed to help she could never let go of her past and always pushed people away.



She had a hysterectoromy at the age of 29 due to cancer, lost of all her teeth,and wore dentures, I believe she also had her gall bladder removed.

I remember one time I got caught cussing out a bully at school and I got caught. The school called home and told mom, by the time I got home she was mad. For my punishment she washed my mouth out with Dawn dishsoap.

Another time I was in Upward Bound( a program that helps with school and college), I got to stay on campus for six weeks and one day with one of her friends she was on her way home from a court appeareance against dad and she drove by the dorms I stayed in and seen me smoking a cigarette. (This was the summer between my 9th and 10th grade years). Anyway she parked the car and came barraling at me screaming at the top of her lungs. She had me take her to the people over me at the campus and told them she was taking me home and they were no good for nothing pieces of shit. I took off and headed to my room and on the way I puched a door frame because I had a feeling that she was going to hit me and I would want to hit her back. She followed me to the dorm room still screaming at the top of her lungs. Next thing I know I'm on the bed in the fetal postion blocking hits to my head. Her friend just sat there and watched. Mom ended up puching me 4 times. once in the back of my head and 3 more times down my spine. Someone called for the campus police and they separted us, she was escorted off of campus and I was taken to the campus infimary. I was ok just shaken up. Child protective services got involved and made us go see a psychiatrist together before they would let me go home after the 6 weeks were up. We worked out some of the problems but we were never the same again.

I'm going to stop here for now and finish it up in part 4. Thank you again for reading.

To Be Continued.....

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are very strong to be sharing this story. It's tragic but written without prejudice. I admire you.

Michelle said...

Pilgrim,
Thank you so much. I really needed to hear that. It is so hard to write about all of this. I will have the final post done very soon.

Amel said...

This is quite a story, Dawn! I agree with Pilgrim. I admire you for having been able to written all this with a neutral tone of voice.

Glad to hear you got to see a psychiatrist and worked out some problems, even though I'm sorry to hear that things were never the same again. It must've been hard to love someone who kept on pushing people away.

(((HUGS)))

I'll be back to read the last part. :-)

stacys1175 said...

Im going to have to agree with both pilgrim and amel. and i also have enjoyed reading about everthing it gives me a insight about your childhood how things were diffucalt for you dont forget were here for you and we love you ;) hugs to you

Michelle said...

Amel,
Thank you, It is hard to write about this in the neutral tone. (((HUGS))).

Stacy,
I'm glad you are enjoying the posts and thank you for understanding and for being there. (((HUGS)))

Kathy said...

Thank you for sharing these personal facts about your mother with us. I know it's been hard. Hopefully writing this will help you a lot.